About me and my travel blog

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Kiwi in the USA

I recently took a trip to Washington D.C., and before my visit I got in contact with the National Zoo, which just so happens to have kiwi birds! I asked them if I could stop by and visit with them, and they actually said yes! Turns out they thought that my time volunteering with these small flightless birds in New Zealand made me a worthy visitor.

Kiwis as you may know, are flightless New Zealand birds. They have a long beak used for sifting through soil and grabbing bugs. They have the softest feathers that Maori Chiefs once wore as cloaks. They lay the largest egg in proportion to their body size of any bird. Did I mention they have whiskers. They are freaks of the animal kingdom, as are most of New Zealand animals. Sloths may be adorable, but a friendly kiwi is just as cute! Check out my video, to see for yourself!

To learn more about Kiwis at the National Zoo visit

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Birds/Kiwi/default.cfm?hpout=homepage

3 comments:

  1. Cute birds =) I found your blog on Nomadic Matt's site and now I'm in love with sloths. How did you get to volunteer with them in Costa Rica? I'm going there this summer for a month and I really want to do volunteering while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Glad you found me on here. I was volunteering at a sloth sanctuary called Aviarios in Cahuita CR. They have a facebook page and I have a link to their site on the top right. I know the price to volunteer is way up from when I did it. Its about 60 a day including meals and a room. I think its totally worth it. Give yourself two weeks there and you will want to thank me later! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Thank you!!! I will look into it for sure. =) It looks like a really worthwhile experience. I will do it.

    ReplyDelete